Saturday, March 20, 2010

Catching Up!

Hello All! Sorry that I haven't been blogging. We've been hanging with some friends who live in China and have been having a GREAT time. They've been taking us everywhere and showing us so much that by the time we get in to the hotel we literally crash. Navigating Beijing is not an easy task. Each trip anywhere begins with jumping in front of a cab to try to make it stop for you, then you hope that they know where it is that you want to go, hope that they don't drive you around the entire city before they finally deposit you at your desired destination and sometimes jumping out on a busy street and hiking to the nearest (but far) subway station because that's just faster. The subway is an entirely different experience. Nothing like it even exists in the states anywhere. You don't even have to walk on to the subway. It's like an ant farm. You just get moved on to the subway.... then you stand like sardines and eventually push your way out. No saying excuse me. Just push folks out of your way. SO strange. Then you walk however long to your destination crossing streets at the risk of your very life. There are no rules but one- don't kill anyone and don't get killed. It's just crazy! Nothing like it even exists in your imagination:)

We have seen a few tourist attractions.. the Forbidden CIty is very cool. The Pearl and Silk markets are wild. Imagine a flea market on crack. People literally physically drag you into their little "store". I could take that for about 5 seconds while Steve had a ball. He would haggle with them for like 30 minutes smiling all the time. I on the other hand don't think I smiled once:) We did get some great deals and some beautiful things. Our friends knew someone legit at the Pearl Market who gave us a great deal with no trouble and that was wonderful! Thanks Sharon and P-Dog. I miss you already! Truly.

We had a wonderful time at the Ball in Tianjin. It was a charity event to raise money to help the Tianjin orphanage provide surgeries and other care for the children. They were able to raise a lot of money in just one evening. It blesses my heart to see people be so generous. It was also so much fun. We actually won a raffle prize:) It was good for one nights stay in a nice hotel in Tianjin so Sharon and Patterson actually won..

Well, we're here in Taiyuan. We were supposed to get Liam today but, of course, there has been a delay. *%#*!!! You can guess what that means:) So now it's tomorrow. Sigh. This is China. It seems to be the culture to hurry up and wait. Over and over again. I used to think I was flexible and by American standards I am but by Chinese standards I am a type A personality. The Lord loves to refine us:) Thank you Lord for making more of who You want me to be.

I'll try to post some pictures. I haven't been successful with this new apple computer but I'll give it a try! Until tomorrow~ Jen


--
Jennifer Hunt

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    We also had the delay of one day. Thought we'd get our son on Sunday, but it ended up being Monday. I understand your frustration! Try to use the time to rest up. I can't wait to see Liam in your arms.

    Blessings!

    Celinda (Yanguan listserve)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you! can't wait to see "gotcha day" in pics!!!
    sharon

    ReplyDelete