Thursday, March 19, 2020

Prefigured, Short Film, Review And Interview


There are support groups for many challenges we face. They even exist for those events few people believe happened. Reaching out to find others who have similar experiences can be comforting and can even raise more question.

In Prefigured the director, Zeshaan Younus, introduces one of these groups. Later he talks about being inspired by alien abduction, but I also got a Lovecraft vibe from it. I think that would be enough to let fans of those topics know this should hold some interest (and they are wanting to do a feature of Prefigured).

Prefigured was screened at the 2019 FilmQuest film festival (website). It was nominated for Best Sci-Fi Short, Best Supporting Actor (Nicholas Thurkettle).

Synopsis: A woman experiencing a strange phenomenon seeks out an esoteric support group.

Along with the inspiration for Prefigured, here is some more about what Zeshaan Younus is working on, what inspired them to become a filmmaker, and other things they like to do.

What was the inspiration for Prefigured?

PREFIGURED comes from a lifelong obsession with the abduction phenomenon. I like to think of this film as a grounded exploration of the paranormal. Kind of an open-ended case study into a few of the lives impacted by incomprehensible forces. More recently I've been leaning heavily into cosmic nihilism, religious renouncement, and exploring the ideas of free will. A lot of those feelings were explored and exorcised while bringing this to life.

What project(s) do you have coming up that you're excited about?

Right now, I'm trying my best to enjoy the PREFIGURED ride. We are fortunate enough to have a solid festival run ahead of us and that's super exciting. Outside of that, I have a PREFIGURED feature script I'd love to pitch and an audio-drama that I wrote and directed which will be released on a podcast called Earbud Theater in mid-October.


What was your early inspiration for pursuing a career in film?

Film really was my therapy growing up. When things were incredibly difficult at home I retreated into the countless VHS tapes we had gathering dust in our garage. It became a passion of mine and even a crutch that I never stepped away from. A few decades later here I am, doing my best to add something to the conversation.

What would be your dream project?

Making a feature film in general would be a dream. Though bringing the full-length PREFIGURED project to life is currently my #1 goal. If we are talking pie in the sky, I would love to make a boots-on-the-ground, practical FX heavy, visceral, violent, and incredibly metal GHOST RIDER film. Hell yeah.


What are some of your favorite pastimes when not working on a movie?

I have a career I'm very proud of, do a lot of nonprofit leadership work, serve as the Strategic Director of the Horrible Imaginings Film Festival, and play music. But...someone please give me more movies to work on, thanks.

What is one of your favorite movies and why?

ALIEN is the greatest film of all time. Not the Director's Cut but the original theatrical version. It's so elegantly efficient and truly a marvel in my opinion. I think about it often and use it as a benchmark when attempting to develop strong, independent, and dynamic characters. I'll be naming my first child Ripley.

You can find out more about Prefigured on IMDb (link).

You can watch the trailer on Vimeo (link).

I'm working at keeping my material free of subscription charges by supplementing costs by being an Amazon Associate and having advertising appear. I earn a fee when people make purchases of qualified products from Amazon when they enter the site from a link on Guild Master Gaming and when people click on an ad. If you do either, thank you.

If you have a comment, suggestion, or critique please leave a comment here or send an email to guildmastergaming@gmail.com.

I have articles being published by others and you can find most of them on Guild Master Gaming on Facebookand Twitter(@GuildMstrGmng).

 


No comments:

Post a Comment